I write this mostly in hopes that I'll remember.
It was actually only yesterday that I was thinking that I'm often finding myself just making it through the day rather than trying to make the most of it. I'm not saying that I'm miserable every day-- it's more of just letting the time pass until... (Br gets home, until it's time for the kids to go to bed, until our next family vacation, until our next party, until the next big thing).
Don't get me wrong, I have MANY moments of "can't we just be done with this stage" or "I'm really not enjoying this". I actually had one of those moments this morning. Misses got up an hour and a half earlier then usual and we all know how much I LOVE getting up before I want to (this is when I need a sarcasm font). We were okay for a while until she thought it would be fun to see what big brother was doing. He loves being woken up before he's ready about as much as I do. This resulted in a less than enthusiastic mom trying to deal with a grumpy boy. Now comes one of those moments where I hand everyone a sippy cup, turned on Super Why and in a semi-comatose state tried to get the time to pass until playgroup.
Our attempt to get dressed, shoes one, and in the car was a rocky, rocky, rocky road. Although we only live minutes from the mall where we were supposed to meet up with our friends, it took us 50 minutes from the time I said "let's go" to arrive at our destination. Once we were there it only took about 2 minutes before E started asking to go to the toy store that is right next to the play area (I DESPISE YOU TOY STORE). This was rapidly followed by an outright tantrum about not being able to go into the store. The little one only took about 45 more seconds to remember that there is nothing to keep the kids in the play area and started the whole "run out of the play area and into the rest of the mall laughing at the top of my lungs while mom chases me" game. I'd bring her back and she's play for about 90 seconds then head for the hills again. AHHHH! Meanwhile E is alternating tantrums about the toy store and wanting apple candy (yeah I have no idea what that is). After about the millionth (that's just an approximate count) time running after Miss A and after watching him attempt to kick another child during one of his episodes I picked E up, put him in the baby's stroller and then ran after A who had run out again, so we could make a very loud and dramatic exit from the mall less than 30 minutes after arriving. I will admit I had less than Christ-like thoughts in my mind as I drove away.
After some down time at home allowing everyone's mood to even out a little, I decided to look over the lesson I'd be teaching this Sunday. I decided to skip to the lesson about gratitude and appreciation. I was reading through everything with the perspective of the 12-15-year-old girls I'd be teaching not realizing that I needed to be applying what I was reading to my own life. That was of course until the words on the page sort of jumped up and game me the slap in the face I needed. I couldn't deny the following words in an address by President Thomas S. Monson (the man I consider a modern-day Prophet of the Lord) called Finding Joy in the Journey were directed at me--
"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly."
There couldn't be more perfect words to read on a day like today.
He also said
"This is our one and only chance at mortal life—here and now. The longer we live, the greater is our realization that it is brief. Opportunities come, and then they are gone. I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and nonexistent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey—now."
"Stresses in our lives come regardless of our circumstances. We must deal with them the best we can. But we should not let them get in the way of what is most important—and what is most important almost always involves the people around us. Often we assume that they must know how much we love them. But we should never assume; we should let them know. Wrote William Shakespeare, “They do not love that do not show their love." We will never regret the kind words spoken or the affection shown. Rather, our regrets will come if such things are omitted from our relationships with those who mean the most to us."
"The ancient Roman philosopher Horace admonished, “Whatever hour God has blessed you with, take it with grateful hand, nor postpone your joys from year to year, so that in whatever place you have been, you may say that you have lived happily.”
and
"Despite the changes which come into our lives and with gratitude in our hearts, may we fill our days—as much as we can—with those things which matter most. May we cherish those we hold dear and express our love to them in word and in deed."
Like I said, I'm writing this so that I remember. No I don't want to remember my horrible reactions to life, I just want to remember the words I read from a divinely inspired source about how I should really be viewing this (and all) time(s) in my life. It was a good reminder that I should be trying to make the most of each day that I'm given, especially those with my kids.
Despite the less than exciting times in life, when I actually think about it, I wouldn't change the choices that lead me to where I am today.
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Becky thanks so much for this I really needed to hear this today-maybe I should wake up and read it everyday :)-hehe-
Thanks!
Post a Comment