Wednesday, June 30, 2010

My luck almost ran out


This is one of the big reasons I don't actually play a real one of these.
Br's co-worker liked the last slot machine cake so much she asked me to make one for her sister's birthday. Although the last one came together rather uneventfully, this one was a mess during the whole process. I don't know exactly what went wrong. The first cake I made completely crumbled before I even finished icing it. After an almost failed attempt #2 I decided to change the shape a little. It stayed together only long enough to get covered. Then the sagging began. I propped it up overnight to help it set up. That worked until the heat of the next afternoon kicked in and the sagging got out of control (notice the picture does not show the back of the cake). AHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Serious stress. I set up a sort of scaffolding in the box and said a little prayer that it would make it to the birthday in one piece and then swore off cake making. I made some cupcakes as a back up plan/apology for the inevitable demise of the cake. I was definitely stressed until the next day when Br reported that it had survived.

2 comments:

tori said...

I love the cherries! mom

brit said...

That is way more than surviving that is awesome. Sometimes when I am feeling petty, I am glad you live far away so I don't have to try to compete with you. But then I remember that if you lived close I might occassionally get to enjoy one of your cakes and I miss you.