So I hope I didn't give anyone the idea by leaving my last post up for so long that I have crazy supermom powers. It actually turns out that "day 2" was the best day by far the three of us have had together. Since then we've had good days, okay days, and those days that I would just say we "survived". I knew it was inevitable but had high hopes it wouldn't... Today I finally crashed and burned.
I woke up this morning still very sleep deprived but determined to make it to play group for some much needed adult interaction and a change of scenery. E was happy when I got him out of bed but then the drama began. He had a huge meltdown when I tried to give him his morning drink. I guess I put the wrong drink in the wrong cup or something like that... I'm still not so sure what I did wrong... but there were many many minutes of very loud and dramatic crying. Of course it took longer than I wanted to get us all ready too leave the house and so I got really... hmmm lets just call it frazzled. Minutes after getting E changed into real clothes he spilled the aforementioned drink (which happened to be red juice) all over his clothes. Before I let this story get too long I'll just hit the highlight-- We got to play group 2 hrs late and A had her first blowout diaper shortly after we walked in the door and of course I didn't have a spare set of clothes, E sat on a dry couch with wet clothes at playgroup then got in a huge fight/yelling match with the hostess's son (thanks for helping us make new friends E), and an entire cup of apple juice got spilled all over the car on the way home. By this time it was only lunch time and I was ready for the day to be over.
I pulled our act together in time to get to A's dr's appointment (we were only 5 minutes late). Last week at her 2 wk appointment she hadn't gained enough weight so we had to follow up this week. I was nervous going in because I feared that I would have a very dramatic and embarrassing meltdown if it turned out I was still doing an insufficient job at feeding my little girl. Luckily for everyone involved she put on enough weight this week! Yipee! In the small exam room we were only in for just a few minutes, E took the opportunity to get into trouble while the doctor was talking to me. Somehow he got a hold of a bottle of liquid and helped himself. The doctor very nicely pointed out that he was pretty sure what E was getting all over was soap and not hand sanitizer so he'd probably need to wash it off. Before I put A down to deal with the mess the doctor had already picked E up and was washing his hand off for me. Instead of being annoyed about it (like I would have been) the doctor was really playful about it rubbing E's hands together so that they were splashing the water everywhere. What's a little water everywhere if it makes a bored little boy laugh? I realize now that my rocky morning wasn't all that bad. I was just so "frazzled" because I didn't deal with all the tiny little accidents this morning with a good attitude.
It's now almost nap time. I resolve that all of us are going to wake up from our naps a little less sleep deprived and with the goal to deal with the typical adventures of being a mom with a 2-year-old more like the fun loving pediatrician and less like the psychotic hormonal tired mommy.
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Becky...all I have to say is you are awesome!!!
Been there. Still doing it. Sometimes when I am relating a super-dramatic aweful day to my husband, I realize in the telling that it was me who was out of whack, not the day. Sorry it was rough, but it sounds like you came out a champion.
Post a Comment