Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Birthday

I guess it all started happening a week ago (we’ll technically it all started 39 and a half weeks ago but let’s fast forward a little). A week ago I woke up and decided that my water had broken. No there was no gush, no slow leak, no “water” actually involved in my theory. There was just this increased and constant feeling that I had to pee. I know that isn’t uncommon for a pregnant woman and really isn’t an indication that someone’s water has broken. The thing was two and a quarter years ago when I was doing all of this for the first time I woke up one morning with that same sensation and passed it off as my baby deciding his new favorite place to lay was directly on my bladder. I passed off the ever so slight “leaking” as being due to that same thing. In fact I passed it off as my bladder giving out on me pretty much all day long. It wasn’t until that night that I finally went to the hospital just to “make sure” and was introduced to the concept of having your water break and not having the “water” go anywhere. In any event I woke up Tues with that same full feeling. Because we still had extended family in town helping around the house, and because I was still not finished with everything I wanted to get done before going on maternity leave, and just because I decided that the feeling was just due to being paranoid because I ignored my rupture for so long last time and because I felt really really stupid calling the Dr. and trying to explain that I thought my water had broken even though there was no water, no contractions, nothing more than just because I thought it had, I did nothing. Fast forward to Wed late morning (after Br had already gone to work, come home from work to take his family to the airport and gone back to work again) when I still couldn’t shake the feeling and couldn’t focus on work because I was distracted I finally called the Dr. and asked if I could just come in and get tested just for peace of mind. They humored me and let me come in just before everyone left for lunch.

Turned out that “I know my body” (that’s one of my favorite quotes from Olivia on the Cosby Show). So at that point Br had to leave work one more time. I came home and put the sheets from the previous visitors in the wash so they’d be clean for Jojo when she finally got into town (don’t tell on me, when the nurse practitioner told me I could leave and come back she specifically used the example of “don’t catch up on the laundry" to encourage me to come back quickly). We found a place for E to hang out for the afternoon (thanks Julia) and finally made it back to the hospital. Funny side note, it was my Dr's birthday so she wasn't working that day. So much for my stressed out search to find an OB in OK. For one reason or another it took almost four hours to reconfirm my water broke (long story) but by 5:34 we had our little girl. 7 lbs 12 oz. Tons of dark black hair. 5 days later and we finally had a name for her – A (sorry, I don’t want to post her full name). We are really excited about having some extra spice added to the Melton Pot.

Here she is (more pics to be added in the slide show)

5 comments:

K2 said...

LOVE THE HAIR!!! And the last picture of her with her eyes open is so sweet. Welcome, Baby A!

Nadia said...

Congrats!!! I am so happy for you!

Amy said...

We are so excited for you and Br. She is gorgeous! Hopefully we can see you all soon!

brit said...

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME

The Albuquerque Sheps said...

Yeah, for my new niece!!!! She is so beautiful.