Monday, April 5, 2010

Falling off the wagon and a determination to get back on

So 12 wks ago my friend Wendi challenged her friends and family to a biggest loser competition. The rules were these. You could earn one point a day for each of 8 categories: taking a vitamin, 40 minute workout, no sweets, no soda, 64 ounces of water, 7 hours of sleep, 5 servings of fruits and veggies, and no eating within 2 hours of bed. You could then earn bonus points based on how close you came to your weight loss goal. Other than skipping my workouts a few times and only getting 6 hours of sleep a couple nights, I got 100 percent of my daily points. Yes, that means this sugarholic went 90 days without sweets. I found it easier to just cut it off completely than to occasionally "cheat". I even limited intake of sugar substitutes to just a handful of times.

Sunday marked the first day of freedom and I broke my streak with a Reeses egg lovingly placed in my Easter basket by my husband, um I mean the Easter bunny. It was good and was followed by many more eggs and other candy. My bender continued into today. Halfway through my day I decided to get it all out of my system today and cut out sugar again starting tomorrow. I don't plan on doing away with it completely, but I have to tell you once I "detoxed" it just doesn't do that same things for me that it used to. There's a little part of me that is sad that chocolate doesn't bring me quite the enjoyment it used to, but overall I know my life (and figure) will be better off not filling my emotional voids with ooey, gooey sweets.

4 comments:

brit said...

I am so proud of you. I don't think I have ever done anything like that.

Terry Family said...

Wow! That's awesome--way to go!

tori said...

I wishthat I had your self control! Pretty amazing. xo

AuntieM said...

this is a good slimmer picture!

90 days! I'm diabetic, and I haven't ever gone ninety days!