
So I sat down tonight with one of the most fantastic cups of hot cocoa I've had in a long time and was immediately reminded of my undergraduate schooling in Biological Engineering. Among many other things we had fun little discussions on properties of different foods. For example, pizza cheese burns your tongue because a great deal of energy is given off when it changes states of matter when the hot melted cheese hits your not as hot tongue and solidifies. Both starch and ketchup are non-Newtonian fluids. While starch mixed with water with get thicker as you apply force to it, ketchup will thin which is why it is actually easier to get it out of the bottle when you shake it (or why someone finally got smart and invented the squeeze bottle). But the best food fact (if you can call it that) I ever learned is how to make a really good cup of cocoa from the little powder packets. The secret is "making a paste". I don't know about you but when I just dump the powder into a cup of hot water it takes forever to get it all mixed up and then when you think it is completely mixed you still find powder chunks as you are trying to sip. My wise professor Tim Taylor (yes that is the guys name on Home Improvement) taught me the correct steps for using the powder. They are as follows:
- Place the desired amount of cocoa in the bottom of your selected hot liquids container (aka a mug or Styrofoam cup) -- I personally like to use at least a packet and a half of cocoa, usually two. Sometimes if I'm feeling crazy I add some ovaltine.
- Pour just a little bit of hot water in the container, not too much, just enough to wet the powder.
- Stir the contents into a paste. This achieves the desired goal of dissolving all the powder without the hassle of the clumps.
- Add more liquid to desired level. At this point since all of the powder is dissolved it doesn't have to be hot. I like to add hot water to about halfway up the cup then add cold milk so that the end result is a really creamy cup of cocoa that is already the perfect drinking temperature without the scalding of the tongue or the blowing and waiting.
- Optional- Add marshmallows, flavored syrup, whipped cream, cinnamon, sprinkles or any other cocoa accoutrement you'd like to sample.
- Drink up!
6 comments:
Those are great instructions. I am going to do that for sure.
I love science! It always amazes me how much better life can be when science has been applied.
I love hot chocolate! I'm going to attempt to replicate your results.
Yumo!
I KNEW there had to be a special technique at making the perfect cup of hot chocolate! Thanks for the tips sis :)
You are a genius!!! If I don't have my Cocomotion on hand I will definitely do it the SMART BECKY WAY!!!
You changed my hot chocolate making when you brought that gem home in our ol' College days. Pretty much changed my life... ;)
Post a Comment