Sunday, November 2, 2008

Finally... another post

Yes, I know it has been forever since I've posted anything. No, I'm not dead, nor sick, nor anything really except busy. I was really busy before I went out of town and then have been even more busy than that after being out of town. I've got a lot to catch up on work and so I spend way too long on the computer any day and can't bring myself to do anything more (blog, email) after that. Anyway, since I shouldn't be working today I'll try to get a few posts out.

It has been almost 2 weeks since my trip to CA and I haven't written anything about it. It's not that I didn't have a really good time, it's just that I didn't take pictures so I'm waiting for my sister to post some so I can steal them. So stand by.

I guess I'd be a delinquent mother if I didn't write something about E's Halloween. Earlier in the week he had a "Fall" party in his preschool class and so I had my first shot at sending treats to his class. I'm a little embarrassed though since this is the type of thing I live for but didn't have time to actually do it this week. When I signed up to bring cookies I had vision of grandeur. When it was the night before and I still had to go to the grocery store for ingredients I realized it just wasn't happening. So instead of showing some elaborate project like I wish I could have done, instead I'll just share a trick for making cookies that look way fancier than they actually are.
1. Already made cookie dough, already made icing, a baggie with chocolate melts in it.
2. Bake the cookies.
3. Let cool
4. Ice with frosting
5. Make concentric circles on the cookie with the melted chocolate
6. Alternate dragging a tooth pick from the inside out and the outside in.
7. Put on plastic spiders and Viola
Spider cookies (works on cupcakes and other iced yummy things too) that look like you made an effort but really just didn't have time.

Fast forward to the end of the week.

Friday morning E got invited to a little Halloween party at the park. Since his actual costume was still missing a few key seams he went as last years costume (thank goodness he was chubby last year and skinny this year--and yes, I will acknowledge that the hat doesn't exactly fit). He was Tuck from the Wonder Pets (the only male wonder pet by the way). I felt bad because they had all kinds of really fun activities planned but E spent most of the time running toward the forest (there was probably an animal in trouble he was trying to save), toward the other side of the park, toward the playground, toward anywhere he wasn't supposed to be. I guess I should thank him for the workout since I wasn't able to hit that gym.
Friday evening he went to the church Trunk or Treat as Linguine from Ratatouille (It's actually a preview for his birthday party in three short months...Ahhh I better get cracking). He went to most of the cars with a sucker hanging from him mouth with a back up ready to go in hand. I let him use one of my soup pots as his bucket (to go with the theme of his costume). The bad thing is I don't know that I can ever use it again without him assuming that there is candy inside. Oh well.

5 comments:

The Dixon Family said...

Oh my goodness, I'm loving the Linguine costume! So nice and very original!

Loralee said...

He is ADORABLE as Linguine from Rataouille!!! How original! I love the spiderweb cookies too! I did it with a cheesecake a few weeks back for NFF, but I'd never thought about cookies. So beautiful and so fun! You are just so creative. I can't believe it.

Party of Two said...

Ha ha, i love the Linguine costume! The cookies looked great, i swear if you had not said anything i would have thought you had created yet another masterpiece

Susan said...

Love the costume. I can't wait to add children to our costume shenanigans!

Amy said...

So, so CUTE!!!