Sunday, August 17, 2008

I'm never going to make it as a paparazzo (Brace yourself. This one has a lot of rambling)

What is this picture of... We'll one of my most exciting moments ever. Last night Br and I went to go see the Dave Matthews Band. It was awesome. We had to exit on the opposite side of the amphitheater from where we parked. On our journey around the back of the place we walked past all of the tour buses and trucks. In a joking tone, yet very serious about it, I asked Br is he thought if we waited around long enough we would see the band walk to the buses. Br just kept walking until...we were stopped. And why were we stopped? To let some buses pull out of an enclosure. It took me a second but I realized that the person sitting in the front of the bus next to the driver was Carter Beauford the drummer. Impulsively I shrieked like a little girl "It's Carter!". The next bus had the (newish) big trumpet player. Once again, but in with an even higher pitch "Trumpet dude!" Then the pinnacle. In the third and final bus I saw Dave himself, up close and personal. I'd like to think he waved at me. By this point I was so excited I was speechless and snapped the above horrible shot above. This was my ninth time seeing Dave in my 7th location so just minutes before I was thinking that next time I go (#10) should be something special. I don't care about that anymore because there is very little that can top this.

Now for my concert report.

The band was joined by their friend Tim Reynolds who added electric guitar to the mix. That kicked the show up a notch and gave it a little harder rock edge. The play list was mostly the new songs from their last album, some classic fan favorites (most of them with a cool twist) as well as a few really fun covers.

Set list: (3 hours of playing)
Pantala Naga Pampa and Rapunzel ( Classic opening songs)
Proudest Monkey
Satellite
So D*** Lucky (Usually a mellow song but they rocked it out. Also, this is from Dave's solo album but they played it. It gives me hope that one day he'll play Br and my song ("Oh") which is from the same album)
Eh Hee (not a huge fan)
Water Into Wine (LOVED this song)
Corn Bread (Don't love)
Stolen Away On 55th & 3rd (Love)
You Might Die Trying (awesome jam session)
Burning down the house (Best ever! It was hard to say who was the lead singer on this one since Dave and trumpet dude sang the whole thing in unison with Carter singing back up. Before the concert I made a wish for the "lovely ladies" (the backup singers on their DVDs) to be there but who needs them when you have trumpet dude backing you up on this song!)
Old Dirt Hill (this one had a spin. I like it a lot)
Lover Lay Down
Money (very fun cover)
Jimi Thing (Another classic jam session song)
Everyday (Mixed with the "honey honey" song and they played the video in the background which is one of my favorite videos ever)
Anyone Seen The Bridge
Too Much Intro
Halloween (really not a fan at all but I forgive you Dave for playing it)
Ants Marching
Stay (Wasting Time)

Encore:
Sledgehammer
Two Step (the last song at the last three concerts I've been to. I thought I'd be mad but it's so good live I couldn't be.)

Finally. My props to the band.
Dave- you are amazing! Stefan - I think we have a special bond since we have a similar "non dance" dance style. Trumpet guy- Wow!

Boyd- You really know how to rock the fiddle. You inspired me to try to learn how to play my mandolin again. LeRoi --(not pictured because he was seriously hurt in June and isn't finishing the tour) I hope you get better.

Carter- You have got to have more than two hands to be able to play like that. Wow. And you smile the whole time. How do you do it? It makes me happy to watch you play.


Lastly, Tim- Thanks for adding something extra this time around!

2 comments:

Party of Two said...

I am so incredibly jealous! I LOVE DMB, but i have never been able to see them in concert.

Elizabeth said...

Wow! It seemed like you two had an awesome time at the DMB concert. And to top things off you actually got to see the band up close on their tour bus...I personally would have lost my cool at that point...I have never seen DMB in concert, but one day I'll catch up to your 7...Eli says hello, and sends a ton of kisses your way :)
-Beth-