Friday, July 18, 2008

Sometimes I just don't get him

This rambling was inspired by this picture I captured yesterday. He at some point during the day found this lap pad somewhere (I have no idea where... if you asked me to find one right now I doubt I could). He played with it a while. Yes he played with the lap pad even through he's got more toys than any other kid I know. Then he made a bed to lay on to watch tv. Why he chose to lay on it when he has any number of normal soft things to sit on in the living room... I don't know.
The second thing that has got me thinking is E's apparent search for new parents. I guess I was wrong in assuming that you have at least til the preteen age before your kids give up on you. I'm not sure what we've done. In any event he's been testing random adults out to see how he likes them. It started with friends. I think the front runner for new mom is Heidi, the other counselor in the primary, and new dad is his buddy Liam's dad Ian. Allegedly he's not set on those two since he's expanded his search to random strangers. It started at a birthday party last weekend when he just went from person to person asking to be held. The it progressed. Earlier this week we went to the splash park for play group. At some point he went over to a little group of ladies to work the crowd. This is not unusual. But then he picked one in particular and invited himself to sit on her lap. I felt bad and embarrassed. He was wet and she was dry-- emphasis on the WAS. This morning a guy came to make a template of the counters. E was so excited to see him. He acted like his long lost friend had returned. E ran up to him and asked to be picked up. The guy was so nice and held him while he explained how to remove the existing counter tops. A little later E sat and smiled at him as he ate his yogurt. I'm not positive that Ian has some competition though since I think there is a minor potential that E thought that Handy Manny had dropped in for a visit (the guy was wearing a tool belt, jeans and a t-shirt and sounded a lot like him).

In any event I'm not all that concerned about E's search. I'm pretty secure that he still loves us. I think he's just coming up with a contingency plan in case things just don't work out down the road.

2 comments:

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Allie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.