Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Everyone's having a baby

So it seems like a great majority of females I know in child bearing age just had a baby or are pregnant (no I'm not one of them). I guess that is just the stage in life I'm in. All these babies have inspired a new creative outlet for me-- Making things by hand and doing a lot of experimenting along the way. Like I mentioned in a previous post I had a baby shower at my house this weekend for a girl that I visit teach moved into the ward about the same time as I did and that I'd like to get to know better.

I made lots of food I hadn't ever attempted (not a good idea when you are having lots of people over and are in a little bit of a time crunch). I had a berry plate with fruit dip, sort of threw together what ended up being raspberry lemonade, chicken salad open faced sandwiches, veggies, and bruschetta. I have to give props to my dad because he gave me a great idea for the herb blend I used on it when he couldn't find the recipe we used for my wedding. It turned out super yummy.

I tried a few techniques I'd never used before on my cake. I made tiers of cupcakes with a small cake on top then decorated the cake and made toppers with chocolate. Some things turned out better than others.

As party favors I decorated some onesie cookies and then made a diaper cake to use as my gift and a decoration. Brooke (Greer) Wittwer inspired me in her blog with some baby shoes that she made so I thought I'd attempt some to use as the diaper cake topper. They turned out okay but would have been a lot faster and neater if I would have had a sewing machine to use.




Sitting and sewing was a little therapeutic for me so I decided that I'd see what else I could make. Yesterday I found a sock that was calling out to be a teddy bear. I decided to give it to E-- I rarely make him anything. The best part was he gave it a kiss right as I handed it to him. I now have a long list of other projects I want to do. I may just ask for a sewing machine for my birthday.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, I didn't know you had a blog! That is awesome...you are definitely going to have to show me how to make one of those adorable bears!

Tina said...

Cute!! I love the ideas! Do you think that you could get Brooke to add me to her blog so that I can see her ideas and what is up with her too? Thanks

Party of Two said...

I LOVE your blog and of course that Teddy Bear! My mom got me a sewing machine at an auction 2 years ago, i don't even know how to turn it on! Maybe we can learn together?

Brooke said...

Your shoes were awesome! Beautifully done!