Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A 30 something with a room with a view

Last week I officially became a 30 something. To celebrate I went out to eat a couple times with friends and ate a lot of celebratory cheesecake. A couple days later Jojo came to watch the kids while Br and I escaped for a long weekend alone in celebration of my birthday and our anniversary. The first night we took an unimaginably wonderful trip to the Rough Creek Lodge. Despite the name and the fact that it was a ranch, there was no roughing it. In fact, it was the coziest I've ever been in the lap of luxury in my life. I really enjoyed sitting on the porch and enjoying the view. We worked up an appetite riding bike to the driving range and hitting a few balls before our gourmet dinner. Our table was right against the window so we watched the sunset as we dined. After our delectable three courses (I'm talking lick the plate clean in a fancy restaurant type yummy) we went on a little starlit walk. There was a tiny little sense of excitement as we casually walked around because we were aware that there was wildlife around. Besides the armadillo hanging out by the bike rack, we got back to the room to find our porch was the home of a couple bats.

I got over the fact that I could no longer sit on the porch by having fun soaking in the big tub watching the tv while dreaming of how I now want to makeover my bathroom. After my soak, we cranked up the AC so it got cold enough to sit by the fireplace and watch a movie.

The next morning we stuffed our faces again with a wonderful breakfast. After we hit as many activities as we could. The first thing I tried was the zip line-- something that I've always wanted to do.
Do you like how I used the pictures to make it look like I actually did it? I got up there and just couldn't do it. I know I'm lame but I know I really didn't want to do it because I still don't regret making the walk of shame back down the stairs. I guess I can now take zip-lining through the canopies in Costa Rica off my bucket list.

We also played a round of washers and horseshoes.After that we took a little bike ride down to the fishing docks. Br decided that it was good luck for a dragonfly to land at the end of the fishing pole so I'm not sure why I still didn't catch anything after this...
A couple hours before we needed to leave, we finally took a cue from the cows that were cooling on the other side of the lake and finished the day in the AMAZING pool. What made it even better was we literally had the place to ourselves.We spent the rest of the weekend just kind of laying low and eating good food. Aside from the much-wanted rest and relaxation, the best part of the trip was spending so much time with my love.

2 comments:

brit said...

Happy Birthday. I am glad you roughed it in style.

AuntieM said...

GOOD! FOR! YOU!