Sunday, January 17, 2010

I'm going to divulge my secret.


I only decorate cakes, I don't really bake them. Although the cakes usually come out very moist and yummy the credit goes completely to Betty (Crocker that is), the Doughboy (Pilsbury of course) or Mr. Duncan Hines --which ever one is on sale.

Well, Thursday night I decided to branch out and and make a couple cakes from scratch. Before I even started Br warned me not to do it, actually he sort of told me not to do it. I assured him it was something I really really wanted to do and I wasn't going to cry about it if it didn't turn out. I was pretty sure I could do it. Yeah, many HOURS and tons of ingredients later I realized that I need to stick to the box. Let's just say that the cake was mostly just decorative. (I'm being serious people-not trying to be modest or anything).

I'm sorry I abandoned you my good friend and cake companion. I will not abandon you again (Until I have lots of spare time and ingredients for experimentation -after all baking is just chemistry, right?). Cake box, I don't know why you get a bad rap. You take only three ingredient, one of which is water. In a matter of about 5 minutes of prep and baking time I have a nice moist cake in about a billion different varieties. Why do people look down on you? Is it the extra preservatives and such in your mix? Do you have things in you that aren't healthful? Well I think people need to get over it. They are eating cake for goodness sake. Is it really supposed to be good for them? Your not a bran muffin.

So in short, give the box a(nother) try. I will appreciate how simple life can be with the help of premixed ingredients and chalk up my last baking attempt as life experience.

3 comments:

Lori said...

I agree that cake mixes are awesome, easy, and actually taste great too!

tori said...

I made my mom a cake from scratch for a birthday. I must have been around 10. Didn't turn out then either. Love the box!

Jamie said...

Yay I found your blog :) I am sad I didn't ever see the inside of that beautiful cake. I'm sure it tasted yummy! :)