Sunday, January 18, 2009

Life Changing Experience

Okay, so I'll admit now that the title is a little misleading. This weekend did have a few events that made me realize that life as I know it is going to change dramatically. It's probably not a secret to anyone that having a kid changes your world and I was certainly not silly enough to think that it wouldn't change mine. With each stage of development it changes your life just a little more, crawling, walking, climbing, etc. E hit one of those big landmarks when Br jokingly told E to open our bedroom door to let the dog in. Turns out neither one of them knew that E could actually open the door. Maybe that's not that big of a deal, but with an extremely curious, mischievous, and busy little boy like E I'm pretty sure that this newly discovered skill is going to bring some pretty interesting adventures in the near future.

The next big change I'm expecting will be in the next few weeks when E turns 2. I think I've taken for granted the fact that we can just drag him along to things for free. For example, no longer can he be a lap child on a plane... not that he actually stayed on a lap.

This weekend we took advantage of the fact that we still have three weeks of FREEdom and let him tag along to a hockey game with us (do you like how I segwayed). Okay, so we mostly let him come because Br's was given two tickets late Friday afternoon and we didn't have the time or desire to search for a babysitter last minute. I'm so glad we decided to bring him along. Sure we only got to see 2 of the periods but for about half of the first period he was more into the game than any other person in the arena (and we're talking hockey fans here). He danced to every song, he clapped loudly at every good play and constantly yelled "GO" to keep the team inspired. I have to give a little thanks for the tickets being so close to the ice so we could see the action, for the wide selection of tasty snacks including E's favorite (popcorn) which bought us half a period, for the cups being filled with a lot of ice which bought us yet another half of a period, the person in front of us for not showing up so that E could hang over the chair and not really bother people, and the periodic blaring of music with a good dance beat for distracting him from the fact that he had to stay within the confines of a few seats. Overall, despite the fact that E's development is keeping me on my toes, and his aging is going to hit the wallet a little, I'm really enjoying watching him become a little boy.

1 comment:

brit said...

sounds fun. i have never thought about how scary it would be when you children could open doors. yikes.