Sunday, May 18, 2014

January

I've been known to say that we don't really travel all that often, but looking through pictures from January, I guess I have to stop pretending and admit that we really do take many spontaneous trips.  We started off the year with our family Christmas present.  Although we went back and forth about it a billion times, we ended up booking the last cabin on the last Disney Cruise departing out of Galveston.  Br and I enjoyed some nice time together while the kids hung out with princesses and pirates.
 
Anyone who knew E when he was 2-6 would be shocked to see that instead of a pirate he decided he'd rather be the ship's captain during the theme night.  My little boy is turning into a man.

It was a short cruise only stopping off at Cozumel and turning back around.  We stepped off the boat to beautiful weather and hit the beach.  Miss A spent most of her time on the beach while Mr E adventured out to a huge inflatable obstacle course.  No pics were taken out there as I couldn't even take a single step on that contraption without ended up on my rear.

We were finished up at the beach a few minutes too late and our beautiful tropical weather turned into a huge tropical storm--or polar vortex-- or whatever they called it.  All I know is that the sky opened, the winds picked up and when we hit the open seas after leaving port the waves were splashing over the top of the boat and the boat was a rockin'.  I'm not sure if it was unnerving or kind of funny sitting in a theater on a boat that literally felt like the ocean was periodically falling out from underneath us while watching the scene from Frozen when (spoiler alert) the parents are lost at sea.  A few seasickness pills and a little rest and we soon found ourselves back at home and back to reality.  I have no complaints about the trip.  After all while most of the country was completely frozen over, we were doing this.
  
 (Proof the kids like each other)

On the last cruise we were on the most exciting part was when we got the news that my sis was blessed with two adorable newborn boys. Just days before we were about to board a ship again, she called to tell us that their adoption had been finalized.  As a result we were excited to join them in Saint George to visit my hero G-pa Hobbs and attend the sealing of the cuties a few weeks later.
 
(a forever family)

I'm so grateful that my kids have had the opportunity to get to know my Grandpa a little bit.  I have MANY fond memories of spending time in my Grandparents' house.  It was like a wonderland with fun projects developing in the workshop, walks to the park with cousins, popping penny after penny in the fun banks, mixing up black cows in the kitchen, hunting for Easter eggs filled with loose change, and spending hours on end getting lost in our imaginations in my Grandma's garden. 
 
Unfortunately, my kids never had an opportunity to meet my grandma, but it is amazing how we naturally find a little place in our heart for those to which we are related.  While we were there we walked down to visit my Grandma in the cemetery.  Miss A walked down with my aunt A.  When she realized that we were just visiting Grandma's headstone and not Grandma (who in her mind lived in a little house in the park) she asked, does him miss her?  E was also concerned about Grandpa and really hoped that "Jesus sometimes let Grandma visit him". At the grave, Miss A picked some flowers and collected little treasures from around the grounds for Grandma.  Ironically the flowers were dandelions--Grandma's former nemesis.  
When it was time to head back to G-Pa's house Miss A seemed to be wandering around the cemetery aimlessly in the opposite direction.  I got a little short with her and said we needed to leave.  She got frazzled said, "but I'm trying to find Grandma to say good-bye".  Boy did that make me feel bad for getting frustrated with her. I took her back to Grandma and let her have a moment alone.  She said a few words then walked reluctantly away, then stopped, turned around, gave the headstone a hug and kiss and then rejoined the family.
The rest of the weekend was definitely all about family.   From taking tons of family pictures (that's what you do when you realize you are all we wearing nice complementary outfits right?)...
 
 
 
 
 
 
...to celebrating the newest official family members' 1st birthday.  
I think the guests of honor favorite thing was realizing G-pa Hobbs had a nifty contraption that would help them walk independently.  And yes, I mean independently.  The picture may indicate that they walked together, but they soon found out it really just worked for one boy at a time (evidence not pictured).
My kids absolutely loved being surrounded by family.  They had the time of their lives spending time with their cousins (and their cousins' cousins).   
They also strengthened their bond with their aunts and uncles and great Aunties M and A. 
In fact, another highlight was spending Sunday afternoon harvesting, cracking and eating pecans in G-Pa's yard with great Aunt A. 
I'm really glad that we were able to start the year off with quality family time-- both as our little family and as an extended family.  

And as a final note, the focus of an activity I was incharge of at church was connecting with our family and ancestors.  The way I connected with them...
  
...family history cupcakes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) A very memorable time. I love you, sweetie!

tori said...

Wonderful post! Loved seeing the pictures. xo