Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I know

I know, I know it's been a while, a long while. And what a lame post to stall out on. My computer with all the pictures has a virus on it and I've been too lazy/busy to move pictures from my online albums and backup hard drive to the other computer so I could post. So here goes my attempt at catching up. Cue all the collages---

We're trying a new sport for the Fall-- Soccer.

The novelty of the game wore out for E really early, however he did score his first goal last week (not surprisingly on his own goal).
First practice
First game
I didn't take him long to decide that he really just wants to tend to the field, although he does play a little every game so he can get "daddy drink" at the end (that's what we call sports drinks around our house)
But we are all there supporting him anyway.


Hmmm. What else did we do? Oh yeah. We took a quick trip down to Dallas so I could go to my 10th Dave Matthew's Band concert. My mom was nice enough to let us crash at her house and watch the kiddos for us while Br and I got a night out. Thanks Dave for putting on a fantastic show and thanks Mom for making it possible for us to go!

The next week we went to the fair. E still LOVES the pig races.
We rode tractors,
We ate,
We pretended to be farmers
and saw lots of animals
The biggest shock was that E got the most excited running around the arts and crafts displays. From cakes, to dioramas, egg art to holiday displays - the kids loved them all. Who'd guess.

And of course we spent lots of time making cakes

This one was my favorite
until I saw how cute Loralee made the beehives that I made for her daughter's birthday party.

Hanging a beehive cake form a tree-- ingenious. Check out the rest of her ingenuity here.
(but caution-- If you can't handle amazingly fantastic and creative entertaining ideas this website is not for you)

Speaking of cake, I decided to enter the Tulsa Sugar Art Show this year. It's at the Tulsa State Fair (not to be confused with the Oklahoma State Fair). The show is put on by Kerry Vincent -- you know the British judge on all the Food Network cake challenges.
Here is my entry



I always wanted to make a gnome cake, but just never had a reason to. Although I didn't even place in my category it was still very satisfying seeing the smiles that were triggered when people spotted my 2 foot random cake creation. I've already started to brainstorm about what I want to do next year.

Following the cake show there was a two day class where we constructed a 28' by 32' by 12' cake show piece instructed by Bronwen Weber, Cheri Elder, and Carolyn Wanke Mangold
Over the course of a billion hours and with the help of like a million people we created a huge cake.
There was a 10 foot tall haunted house sitting on top of a cake hill
The house was surrounded by a pumpkin patch with little trick-or-treaters being mocked by a huge ghost.
Then in the other corner there was Frankenstein's wedding



The wedding took place in a graveyard (notice the fruit bats)
The wedding guests included Mummy and her little ghoul and little blooder.
We were rotated through the different sections so we could take part in the whole process. Among other things I made A LOT of leafs, a window, ghost, and a spider, gave Frank a faux hock, killed his bride's bouquet, crushed A LOT of cake to make dirt, and took a lot of pictures.
No it's not all actual cake, although a lot of it is and what is not could have been if we would have had the time but. Overall it was an amazing experience!

There's my summary. Now on to attempting to put my house back together, catch up on laundry (seriously people does it ever end?), and attempt to make Halloween costumes for the kids. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

K2 said...

My jaw is on the floor. All the cakes are amazing, and your gnome cake is the coolest thing I have ever seen! I cannot believe you (all) made that Halloween wonderland! Oh my goodness! You have been BUSY!

tori said...

Wow - fantastic!!!! Wonderful post. I'm going to read it a bunch more times as so much happened!

ashes said...

what is this I hear about you and a bakery???? Can I come???